TO SEND YOUR RESUME AND COVER LETTER: Send resume and cover letter to the address listed (e-mail resumes sent as attachments should be in Microsoft Word format). Please send your resume by US mail, FAX, or e-mail to the address noted at the end of each position. If you send via e-mail, your resume should be written using Microsoft Word and sent as an attachment. Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to: 800-234-2054, or mail to Attn: HR Office, Browning, One Browning Place, Morgan UT 84050-9326.
Mechanical Design Engineer
Posted January 15, 2019
Browning, an industry leader in the Shooting and Hunting Outdoor industry is seeking a talented Design Engineer to develop Browning branded firearms in our Research and Development Division. Browning is located in Mountain Green, Utah, just 40 miles NE of Salt Lake City and is easily accessible from all areas of the Wasatch Front. Its scenic beauty and serenity create an ideal work setting. Looking out the office windows presents a picturesque view of the Rocky Mountains with snow-capped peaks, and surrounding beauty.
This position designs and develops new firearm products to Browning firearm quality levels, to be manufactured by the most economical manufacturing processes available. In addition, this position makes improvements to existing Browning firearm products for function, safety and/or to reduce manufacturing costs. The right candidate for this position needs to have a combination of innovation and creativity, but also have the ability to test, analyze, and use critical thinking skills to bring solid results to a finished product. Experience in the specific field of bolt actions design would be a definite plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES
- Lead the design of new, high quality firearms, from concept to production, in accordance with company objectives.
- Create or modify existing designs in 3D CAD, including individual components and assembly mechanisms; includes the definition and selection of appropriate material properties.
- Coordinate prototype fabrication, leading the initial assembly, testing and evaluation processes. Identification, diagnosis and resolution of product design and process development issues.
- Work in cooperation with team members to select appropriate technologies and vendors, optimizing the designs for manufacturing. Ensure the Technical Data Package (TDP) accurately defines all design aspects necessary for production; assist in product qualification and production launch.
- Management of project timelines and resources within established project parameters. Must be able to prioritize, multi-task and manage multiple ongoing projects. Conduct product improvement projects to increase the quality and value of existing products.
- Some domestic and international travel is required, including to various production facilities in Japan, Turkey, Portugal and Belgium.
COMPETENCY BASED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to 'zoom in' to detail quickly and accurately, check information and pick up inconsistencies and mistakes. Make detailed comparisons between similar sources.
- Ability to explore and manipulate ideas beyond concrete constraints. Can imagine novel and hypothetical situations in detail, and reframe problems when needed.
- Identifies ways to improve processes/situations, and takes responsibility for improvements or solving problems. Sets own standards above prevailing standards, and shows dissatisfaction with substandard or inefficient activities.
- Loves learning, and picks up new skills quickly. Develops expertise within the firearms industry.
- Uses grammar, vocabulary and style to describe situations, ideas, instructions etc. Structures communication logically. Listens, responds to prompts, and summarizes.
- Ability to initiate and grow mutually beneficial relationships. Actively develops networks, and manages potentially challenging relationships.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B.S.) in Engineering, (Mechanical preferred), from an accredited college or university; an advanced degree is a plus.
7-10 years’ experience in engineering design of mechanical consumer products with 2D and 3D CAD software (Creo preferred).
Working knowledge of common firearm types and their proper function and uses is required.
Excellent written and verbal communication and documentation of technical material is necessary, including the ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical reports and legal documents.
Basic knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances (ASME/ANSI Y14.5) is necessary.
Some knowledge or experience in the following areas is beneficial but not required:
- Engineering testing and instrumentation including strain, load, and pressure measurements using the National Instruments LabVIEW software.
- Setup and use of high speed video equipment.
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is a plus.
- Manufacturing experience in relevant technologies is a plus.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
Applicants should be philosophically aligned with the brand, its products, markets and mission of Browning/Winchester and its affiliate companies.
For Browning and our other Product Lines
Browning does not have employment opportunities for sales representative positions. Sales representatives are employed by independent sales companies throughout the United States with whom we have sales and marketing agreements.
Openings at the sales companies are extremely limited. If you have questions regarding their staffing needs, please contact the sales company directly. If you choose to submit a resume, please be aware that the sales companies have limited resources, and will only respond if there is an opening and your resume meets their qualifications.
The address and phone number information above is only updated periodically and is subject to changes at any time. In most cases, if the information above is not accurate, rep groups can be contacted by going directly to their websites using a Google search.