Caliber - 300 PRC
Ballistically phenomenal in every way.
What’s so Special about the 300 PRC? With several .30 caliber cartridges already firmly set in the minds of rifle shooters, the venerable 300 Winchester Magnum is one example, why develop a new cartridge? At the request of the US Military, specifically the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM), the ammunition industry was asked to develop a cartridge that would give snipers a 50% hit probability at 2,000 yards. The .300 PRC was developed by Hornady as the solution to meet this stringent requirement.
Achieving optimal aerodynamic performance. To accomplish the goal, Hornady developed the 300 PRC to “take advantage of long, heavy caliber bullets that are capable of delivering the highest levels of accuracy and aerodynamic performance.” Currently, Hornady has 225 gr. Match and 212 gr. Hunter loads are available, both using proven ELD technology. Common, magnum speed rifle powders are used and result in extremely consistent velocities and increased barrel life compared to most currently available magnum cartridges.
- Uses -- Big game and long-range target shooting.
- Accuracy -- Accuracy is dependent on skill, ammunition, and firearm. This caliber can be considered a sub-minute of angle caliber and retains substantial accuracy beyond 1,000 yards.
- What does the 300 mean? -- The cartridge is designed around 30 caliber bullet diameters (see SAAMI specifications)
- What does PRC mean? -- Precision Rifle Cartridge.
- Important information from Browning -- Initial production of X-Bolt rifles feature a 1 in 8" twist
Reference: Ammunition companies, Wikipedia, general knowledge. Refer to ammunition companies for any specific technical information.
Specifications provided by Hornady (from hornady.com).
- "Maximum cartridge overall length is 3.70" to utilize today's long, high BC bullets.
- 8.5" twist rate to stabilize modern long, heavy bullets.*
- 2800 fps from 24" test barrel with 225 gr. ELD Match® load.
- Non-belted, shoulder headspacing cartridge results in optimal chamber alignment.
- The cartridge and chamber were designed concurrently. Same design methodology as 6.5 Creedmoor results in excellent and dependable accuracy performance.
- Cartridge case designed to efficiently use common, temperature stable, magnum speed rifle powders yielding extremely consistent velocity and increased barrel life compared to currently available magnum cartridges."
- Refer to the Hornady website for current specifications.
* At the time of introduction, Browning X-Bolt barrels will feature a 1 in 8" twist. Check the twist rate inscription on every rifle you purchase to confirm it has the rate best for what you intend to shoot.