Body Thickness (variable measure)
The thickness of the steel that comprises the safe body. A smaller gauge number means thicker steel, which provides more security than thinner steel. The thickest safe body on Browning ProSteel safes is 3/16" (on Platinum Plus and Pinnacle Series) and this specification is not shown in gauge measurement.
Thicker steel means more protection from any type of criminal attack and from fire.
- Best – 3⁄16" Steel — Equivalent to about 6.5 gauge, 0.1875" thick.
- Better – 10 gauge — 0.135" thick.
- Good – 12 gauge — 0.105" thick.
A thicker, more rigid door is better able to resist pry attacks. A door formed from multiple pieces of steel is more rigid because strategic bends in the metal add strength. A formed door also includes fire insulation, and therefore provides more fire protection.
- Best – Duo-Formed® Door — 1 5⁄16" thick door face.Full steel interior panel.
- Better – 1" Formed Door — 1" thick door face. Steel reinforcement panels.
- Good – Plate Door — 3⁄16" thick solid steel door face.