The Power Drive Gas System is the heart of the Browning Maxus and one of the main reasons why this great autoloader has quickly earned a reputation as being the fastest shooting, softest recoiling, most versatile and — importantly — most reliable guns you can get your hands on.
The Power Drive Gas System has been tuned and refined to perfection. It is designed to maximize both reliability and recoil control. When you are hunting big birds like Canada geese and banging through 3-1/2" loads, the oversize exhaust ports in the piston dump large amounts of gases that would normally cause heavy recoil, and use only the minimum of gas required to cycle the action. Not only does this action reduce recoil, it reduces wear on components. When you head to the range and you want to change to lighter target loads, Power Drive compensates with the long stroke of the piston to keep you shooting. The Power Drive Gas System also features an enclosed seal that helps keep gas from sneaking into the receiver to provide cleaner operation.
The Maxus the latest in more than a Century of Browning leadership in autoloading shotguns. Browning has provided the best in quality and design since John Moses Browning Invented the autoloading category with his development of the Auto-5 shotgun at the turn of the century — that "turn" took place about one hundred and ten years ago. No company has more experience with every type of autoloader than Browning.
In addition to the Power Drive Gas System, the Maxus has several other advantages over other autoloaders:
• Lightning Trigger - Triggers on autoloaders have been overlooked for waaaay too long. We wanted to go all out on the Maxus, so we developed the Lightning Trigger. It is designed to feel better than any other design on the market with a crisp break and minimal travel. It's also lightning fast, with locktimes 24% quicker than the closest competitor.
• Speed Lock forearm - No more turning a magazine cap. Just press the lock button, flip the lever and slide the forearm off. The Speed Lock forearm makes taking down and assembling the Maxus for storage or cleaning faster than any other autoloader. Adding and removing a sling is a snap.
• Inflex Technology Recoil Pad - The Inflex Technology recoil pad is the softest pad on any autoloader. In addition the pliable recoil absorbing material, it has been engineered with directional deflection that pulls the comb down and away from your face with every shot for even greater comfort and faster follow-up shooting. when combined with the Power Drive Gas System, Inflex Technology means less muzzle jump and that instantly translates into more birds in your bag. The Power Drive Gas System works perfectly with the Inflex Technology recoil pad to reduce muzzle jump as much as 44% compared to the competition.
• Speed Load Plus - Speed Loading has been popular on Browning autoloaders for decades. Our patented feeding system sends the first shell loaded into the magazine directly into the chamber. Unloading is just as easy with the Speed Unload feature that makes emptying the magazine fast and easy, without having to cycle and chamber every shell with the bolt handle.
• TurnKey Magazine Plug - The patented TurnKey Magazine Plug is easily removed in seconds using a vehicle key. Combined with the Speed Lock System, the magazine plug can be removed from the Maxus in mere seconds.
• Magazine Cut-Off - The magazine cut-off that allows you to easily unload the chamber to change loads without cycling a shell from the magazine. Geese coming in? Flip the Magazine Cut-Off, eject the 3" duck load and load a 3-1/2" into the chamber. Simple.
• Steel Shot Performance - Our barrels are made to handle the punishment of steel shot. Unlike some manufacturers whose guns face an uncertain future after shooting steel, we have long been at the forefront of dependable steel shot performance and durability. Our barrels meet the strictest material and construction quality standards. The barrel blanks are made from rolled and tempered steel bars and are stress relieved to offer exceptional mechanical properties. The barrel blanks are then precision drilled, reamed and honed to exacting specifications. Browning Maxus barrels will last.
To ensure the Maxus brings down what you point at, it features our Vector Pro™ lengthened forcing cone. Vector Pro back-boring reduces friction between the shot cup and the bore to increase shot pellet velocity, minimize pellet deformity for more uniform patterns and reduce felt recoil. Browning was the first big-time manufacturer to put back-boring and its advantages into production shotguns. The Vector Pro forcing cone tapers gradually over a longer area to minimize shot deformation for maximum pattern uniformity, consistency and density and more shot right where it needs to be to bring down birds and smoke clays. Vector Pro back-bore specifications are the ideal bore diameters. Any larger and gases blow past the shot cup, resulting in reduced pellet velocity and blown shot patterns. If the bore is smaller, pellets are smashed into the forcing cone, leading to poor ballistic performance and uneven patterning.
The proven Invector-Plus™ interchangeable choke tube system is featured on every Maxus shotgun and provides consistent, dense shot patterns in the constriction needed for the specific shooting situation. The longer choke taper inside an Invector-Plus choke tube works with the Vector Pro™ lengthened forcing cone to produce dense patterns with uniform densities and fewer fliers. The superior designs of the Invector systems are far more durable than the choke systems found in competitors’ guns, especially when shooting steel shot loads. The Invector systems eliminate gases slipping between the choke tube and barrel that ?could damage both the choke tube and the barrel.
Of course, you can't forget Browning fit and handling that is nothing short of legendary. The Maxus features a trim forearm and close radius pistol grip to maximize control. Drop and cast can be tuned using the included stock shim kit. An externally relieved magazine tube reduces weight and adds strength. A low rib is in line with the top of the receiver and translates into a flat point of impact. When you go to your Browning dealer to see the Maxus take along a copy of the Maxus Checklist so you can compare the features and advantages you get with a Maxus. A copy of it is below. Put us to the test. Go to your dealer and set the competition side-by-side with the Maxus. Get out your check list and compare the differences.
If you have a flash enabled smart phone you can go to Planet Maxus right now and learn everything you need to know to make a good decision on your autoloader purchase.
Click here to request a free copy. It is packed with photos and specifications for our full line of firearms, accessories, cases, knives, lights, gun safes and technical clothing. Request | Download a PDF